The Nature Spot
Kronkosky's Tiny Tot Nature Spot
While visiting Kronkosky's Tiny Tot Nature Spot, children will be encouraged to get out of their strollers (and in many cases their shoes and socks) for a hands-on encounter with real, wild, life! Specially designed areas and well-trained staff, called Playleaders, will help children and their families immerse themselves in nature. To enhance your trip for children five and under, check the schedule posted near the Nature Spot entrance for daily animal presentations and activities. During each and every visit, children will be immersed in nature experiences that engage the senses, encourage discovery and bring them close to nature.
Kronkosky's Tiny Tot Nature Spot consists of several major areas:
- Sound Station: Drums, chimes, and other musical instruments provide the opportunities for children to cut loose, make some noise, and express their creativity!
- My Backyard - Cook & bake in our outdoor mud kitchen, watch the wildlife and smell the flowers in our certified backyard habitat.
- Monkey/Sloth Hang and Coati Crawl: Climb and hang like a monkey or crawl through a log and get nose to nose with a coatimundi.
- Go Wild: Explore our cane maze, run up and down hills, or just rest in the shade in this large grassy area.
- Discovery House: This indoor climate controlled building features rooms for kids and families to immerse themselves in underground, pond and zoo adventures.
Explore Your Pond Room: Pretend to fish in the indoor pond or enter a child-size aquarium.
Explore Your Zoo: Dress-up and act out various Zoo jobs.
Explore Underground: Crawl through the tunnel and discover what lives underground. View the underground activities of prairie dogs and other critters.
- Campground: Explore tents, play in the stream, explore a hollow log and look for bugs.
Pier and Pond: Play in a boat, feed the fish, and experience a floating dock.
- Riverbank: Play in the water, dig in the sand, and climb on giant tortoise shells.If you plan for your children to swim at the Riverbank please call ahead to ensure it is open. Also, don't forget to bring swim diapers and a towel!
Kronkosky's Tiny Tot Nature Spot is the perfect place for families with very young children to connect with nature. Opened in Fall 2004, this exhibit is the first zoo exhibit of its kind in the country. It even won the highly coveted Significant Achievement Award for Exhibits from the Association of Zoos and Aquariums in 2006.
Did you know that playing outside makes kids (& adults happier, healthier and smarter The San Antonio Zoo is part of a larger collaborative of organizations connecting families and nature. Want to find out more? Visit the Texas Children in Nature Alliance at http://texaschildreninnature.org/ and the Children and Nature Network at http://texaschildreninnature.org/
Discover more nature near you! Visit NatureRocks to learn about natural places and outdoor activities in the San Antonio area!